9/15/08

Homeschool Mondays - Chore Charts

If you're a homeschooler, then you probably know that Mondays can be rough. I'm usually trying to play catch-up from all of the housework that didn't get done over the weekend.

On the subject of housework, I thought I'd talk about chore charts this week. We have tried several methods of chore charts in our home in the past, and honestly, I just don't keep up with them enough. I'm not the type of person that likes to be constrained to one single way of doing something. However, I am the type of person that loves organizing and planning out my day, schedule, life, etc. The two don't always jive well together. With a 6-year-old, and 4-year-old, I really want to start teaching our children the value of hard work.

I found a neat idea online for a game to make chores fun for younger children. I can see how this might cause fights, but we're going to try it.

Here's What You Need:
  • Clean, empty applesauce cups or baby food jars (enough for the number of chores)
  • Construction Paper (varied colors)
  • Sharpie/Pen/Pencil
  • Tape
  • Small stone, tiddliwink, checker, etc. to throw into the cup
How to Make One:
  • Cut circles of construction paper to fit inside the bottom of the applesauce cups
  • Write a chore on each circle (i.e., Make Bed, Fold Laundry, Dishes, etc)
  • Tape the circles to the bottom of the applesauce cups
  • Optional: Glue cups to a piece of cardboard for stability
  • The children take turns throwing a checker or something small (non-harmful), into the cups, which will determine which chore they are responsible for that day. It may be multiple tasks.

Here are some links on Chore Charts and different methods of making them fun:
So, my question to you whether you homeschool or not, do you use chore charts in your home? What works best for you? What age do you start assigning chores?


2 Comments:

Mom said...

We do use a chore chart. We do not homeschool.
I wrote a list of everything I wanted the boys to do each day, and by day I meant a school day. Then I divided it up into before school, after school, and before bed. My husband made a spread sheet and printed off copies at work. So I have the kids mark off the chore as its completed.
It really helps a lot! We pay a dime for each chore completed...
We haven't paid them in cash yet, they chose a pet as a form of payment once.
I save all the completed charts in a binder so they can see what they have done and one day when they want money, I can just add up what they've earned.
If you want to see the spread sheet, let me know.

Be Thou Exalted said...

I have a 5 year old and a 6 month old. My 5 year old has a few basic chores to do each day. Make bed, put her dirty clothes in hamper, wipe down bathroom sink and toilet (with baby wipes), and set supper table. Its not much, I wan't her to learn the value of hard work, but I also want her to be a kid!

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.