8/7/09

Money Saving Tip! - $.11/bag Microwave Popcorn

I am thrilled to tell you about this super easy (notice I'm all about simplicity) way to make healthy popcorn! I've tried it and will never buy microwave popcorn again - that is, unless I can find it this cheap. At only $.11 per bag, I have found this to be the most cost-effective way to make popcorn. It's a no mess, no fuss method that I'm sure you'll love.

Here's what you'll need:

Yes, that's it! You could add a teaspoon of oil to the bag for flavor, but the simple method I'm showing you involves only the above ingredients.


Add 1/4 cup of popcorn to your brown paper lunch bag - just enough to cover the bottom of the bag when held upright.


Then fold over the top edge twice like so, and lay the bag on it's side in the microwave. This allows more space for the kernels to spread out and prevents burning.

Microwave for approximately 2 minutes. Like always, listen to when it stops popping or if you start to smell burning. Everyone's microwave is a little different, so you'll need to do some trial and error to figure out what the right timing is for yours.


And Ta-Da! You have fresh and healthy popcorn. Add melted butter, salt, or season as you like. There are no additives, just healthy popcorn. My kids are content to eat it as is.

Here's the cost breakdown:

I purchased 100-ct brown paper lunch sacks from Walmart for $1.92 ($.02/bag). Considering I can use the bags more than once is another thing to keep in mind.

I also purchased a 2-lb bag of yellow popcorn for $1.36. Since I only use 1/4 cup each time, that equates to $.09/bag.

This makes my total $.11/bag (or less if you're reusing the bags)!

Thanks to my sis for this money saving tip! Do you have a money saving tip that you'd like me to share on my blog? Email it to me at CouponSavingGame@yahoo.com!

9 Comments:

annies home said...

thanks for sharing that idea I never thought of it before

Angie.... said...

Thanks- as much as my daughter loves popcorn this is great and i have both of these items already. Weve been just popping the popcorn in a pan with a little oil!

Beth said...

What a neat idea! No more over-priced microwave popcorn for me.

Nonna said...

Thank you for this !

Before microwaves, popping on the stove top was how my Mom did popcorn in oil and then when we went to the drive-in, she made us each a brown paper lunch bag full of popcorn to save money.

Awesome tip and so healthy too...you always find the best ideas !

Christy said...

This sounds so simple. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the great tip Stephanie!

Coupon Kim said...

This is super cool! Thanks!!

Bethany said...

Thanks for sharing this neat tip. I stopped buying pre-packaged microwave popcorn because most all of them use partially hydrogenated oils. I use a hot air-popper & then season it myself but that puts out heat, which isn't so great in the summer. Now I can pop the corn without heating up my kitchen. :-)

momma-lana said...

We've been making popcorn this way for about 18 months and we love it. It is so good and so healthy. This is the time to stock up on the paper lunch bags if you see a back to schoolsale on them.

Anonymous said...

wow...great idea. i have already tried it. it is so yummy and healthy! Beats paying for microwave popcorn. THanks!!

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.