9/19/10

Everyday Money Saving Tips: Part 2

I recently started a series on Everyday Money Saving Tips.


This week's savings tip might be a bit challenging to some... but I encourage you to give it a try!

Cutting your family members' hair. Now, before you say "There is NO way!" think about how much you could save by doing the job yourself. If you stay on top of haircuts, you probably pay around $15-$30 every 3 months per person. With my family of 5, it would cost us $80-$100 every 3 months (and that's at an inexpensive place..... with a coupon!).
I started cutting my husband's hair a few years ago when we were looking for ways to cut costs. The first haircut was a bit of trial and error, but thankfully he knew (from years of getting his hair cut, duh!) how to do it and talked me through it. By the end of my first hair cutting experience one side burn may have been shorter than the other! But before long I started to get pretty good at it.

Let's talk cost... Here's what you need to get started:
  • Clippers (priced around $15-$30)
  • Hair-Cutting Scissors (included in most Clipper Kits)
  • Spray Bottle ($1 at Target)
  • Comb / Brush
  • Sheet or Cape from Beauty Supply Store
If you have daughters, simple trims might be the way to begin. You might decide to rotate every other hair cut (i.e. trim at home, then at the salon). For boys, you could go simple with a buzz cut, or simply watch the next time the barber cuts his hair and take notes!

If you're still not confident in doing it yourself, watch some of the many Youtube videos on how to cut hair. On a side note... I think they should have the slogan, "There's a YouTube for that!" I'm amazed at how much information and How-To's you can find on YouTube.com!

So, you may have noticed that I haven't mentioned cutting my own hair. And to be honest, I get it done. With all the savings from cutting my family's hair, and since I rarely get my hair cut, we've decided that the expense is worthwhile. Plus, I'm not a big spender when it comes to haircuts. I've found a reasonably-priced salon and have good results with them. However, if any of you cut your own hair, maybe you can give me some tips!

4 Comments:

Julie said...

Funny that you posted this today. This past Wednesday I cut my husband's hair for the first time. I actually did a decent job and my experience was similar to yours, because he talked me through it the same way that your husband did. We already had a pair of clippers and some "OK" scissors, though we might need to invest in a better pair and a cape because the bath towel wasn't really working.

Teresa & Julie-Andi said...

JulieL ~ I recently found a cape at Sally Beauty Supply for only $3. It was well worth it and I made sure to buy one that is a good fit for adults and children.

Dee W in TN said...

I have been cutting my huband's hair for almost 24 years. He used to go to a hair cut place, then I would have to fix their errors. So I decided to take the plunge, bought clippers and decided if I really messed it up, we could pay to have the hair cut place repair my errors. He has never returned to the hair cut place. Now I cut my son's hair too. It is so convenient, can cut it whenever he needs it: 10:00 PM before an important meeting or interview. Several years ago we had an unexpected death and had to travel from TN to CA. I just threw my clippers into my suitcase and gave all the guys (husband, son, nephews) cuts on the back porch the day before the funeral.


Girls: when my daughters were young, I did their cuts too. Now that they are teens, we sometimes go to a local beautician, but found one close that charges only $10/cut, $5 trim. And now my teenage daughters cut my hair...

Teresa & Julie-Andi said...

Dee ~ I love your story. And it's so true. Haircuts at home are convenient. I didn't mention it in my post, but you're saving on gas as well!!

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.