10/1/10

Homemade Cinnamon Apple Sauce

When Fall comes around, I can't think of anything more wonderful than the smell of cinnamon apples lofting throughout my house! It's time to open those windows, let the cool breeze in, and enjoy a cool morning of applesauce-making with me.

You'll start with a 3-lb bag of Gala apples - or your favorite cooking apple. Core and peel apples, then cut into quarters. Peels can be left on if you like it that way, but I recommend cutting the apples smaller so that you do not have large pieces of the peel.


Since this is my first time making homemade applesauce, I kept the peels on thinking it would make my life simple... (Later, I picked it out as it was just too tough for my liking.) Place apple quarters in large sauce pan and add 1 cup of water. Over medium heat, bring to a boil.


Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of allspice and toss with spoon to distribute the flavors. Then place a lid on top and simmer for 20 minutes.


Once your apples are soft, do not drain the liquid - even though it may seem a little too soupy. Just give it a minute and start mashing them with a potato masher. (At this point, I was seeing too many peels and picked them all out.)

Here's the consistency I typically end up with - a little chunky and super yummy. (Typically, meaning this is the first time I've made it and I loved it this way, so I'm going with it!)


All this work, and you end up with a one quart jar. Knowing that it's homemade and that it only took me 30 minutes to whip up, I can't help but believe it was worth the $1.99 I paid for the apples. Even better, I think I'll buy some apples in bulk when I come across an even lower price, and make a bigger batch to can!

*Note: You can add 1/2 cup of white sugar when you add the cinnamon and allspice if you like a sweeter applesauce. However, if you start with a fairly sweet apple, you should be able to skip the extra sweetener.

(Thanks to my friend Wendy for tips on making homemade applesauce!)

2 Comments:

Olenka said...

I am so going to have to try this! We love apple sauce here!

Teresa & Julie-Andi said...

Olenka ~ My kids can't seem to get enough. It's a hit in our house!

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.