10/20/11

A Day Off & Pumpkin Bread...

I have had an absolutely wonderful morning! ...and I thought I'd share it with you.

Actually, it starts with yesterday. As some of you may know, my husband (and our family) has struggled through some job changes over the past couple of years and we are now in the midst of that struggle once again. I have found that we are one of many, many families in this same situation. My husband is a hard worker and rarely takes days off for himself. (And when I say rarely, I mean it's probably been 6 years since he has taken a day off... just to take a day off.) With our kids in school now, we decided to take the day off together and spend it together. This, once again, is an extremely rare thing for us.

God really blessed our day and we had a wonderful time catching up on the important talks and time together that we so often struggle to find time for. It was a nice renewal of our friendship and marriage as well. It kind of took us back to our dating years - before kids! Can you imagine?!

And now, onto today... A friend and I recently began a Bible study and we both wanted to have an accountability partner in our spiritual walk with the Lord. I know it's been a blessing to me to have a friend to share the ups and downs with as well as know that we can encourage each other in our quiet time and share how God is working in our lives. I don't know how I went so long without this person in my life. We are both fallen people and yet God is doing amazing things in our lives.

To dwell on the things that God is working out in our lives... and to actively pursue a relationship with Christ through reading His Word and praying His Word has greatly impacted my day. I will never have everything together; my children will never obey me in everything in life; my house will never be completely clean; and my yard will never be perfect despite my desire for perfection in so many things. But, God will always be in control. He will always know what's best for me, my husband, and our 3 children. He will always lovingly direct our paths. His promises are true - and oh what blessed promises they are! And in all these things, I trust in Him completely.

In John 16:33, Jesus says, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Jesus never said this life would be easy. In fact, He says the opposite. Thankfully, He has already won the victory and in this truth we can find hope and joy in our times of struggle.

You may wonder... what about this pumpkin bread you mentioned?! Well, I'm throwing that in because as I write this post, I am smelling the most wonderful pumpkin aroma from my kitchen just 3 yards from where I sit. This is a new recipe I found at TammysRecipes.com. You can check it out HERE. I made a few loaves so that I can give one away, throw one into the freezer, and have the last one for my kids when they come home from school today. My daughter has been begging me to use my large can of pumpkin for something. She's like me and loves pumpkin desserts!

Anyways, I hope that I haven't bored you with the ramblings of my heart and life... maybe you can relate in some way. I pray that the Lord encourages your heart to find time in His Word today. As one who tends to walk through life thinking I can be in control of everything, I'm amazed at myself when I realize I have no control. That's God's place, not mine. I need to submit to Him daily and He will direct my path.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those encouraging words. Hope you have a fabulous week as you invest some more time in God's word.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think that was boring at all! : ) I don't "know" you...but after following the blog for so long, I feel like I do! Glad to hear things are going well for one of my fave coupon bloggers.

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.