12/17/08

I love Grocery List Day!

Believe it or not, I actually look forward to my grocery list making day. In my not-so-organized life, it's fun to find organization in making a grocery list. I love to see how many items I can find coupons for and all the savings to be had!

This week, I figured I would walk you through my process of coming up with the best deals for the week. First of all, I'm primarily a Publix grocery shopper, though I do make a run to Walmart if I need a no-name brand item such as dishwasher detergent. I still much prefer Publix and try to get all I need in one shopping run.

Thursdays are my shopping day, which includes me running to Walgreens, CVS, and Publix. I always hit CVS before Publix so that I can try to "score" a $10/$50 CRT from the price scanner machine! My Publix considers CVS a competitor, so they take these fabulous coupons.

To plan my list, I start out with items that are a MUST HAVE such as milk, eggs, bread, etc. Then I check out my good friend Sarah's blog at Fiddledeedee. Every Wednesday she posts the Publix deals for the week. Since my area's Publix sales start on a Thursday, this is ultra convenient for me! I take all day Wednesday (off and on throughout the day - Please people! I don't have a full day to devote to making a list!) and create my list. Here's how my list looks as of 8:45am this morning. I may add items that I won't end up purchasing, but I list out all the items that are a maybe or will help me with my meal planning for the week. Once I've completed my list, I definitely tweak it and decide what is actually necessary. This is how I write it out:

Milk:
Eggs: $1.89
Juice:
Barilla Lasagna Pasta: BOGO $1.99
Mt. Olive Pickles: BOGO $2.79 - 2 $.50/1 Blinky = $1.79/2
Wrigley's Orbit Gum: BOGO $2.17

As I start going through it, I check my coupon binder for coupon-matchups, and if I can't find something I'm looking for, CouponMom.com is my favorite resource. I check out all my coupon websites that I frequent including Coupons.com, Coolsavings, etc. You can check out the full list on the right hand side of this blog. Then if I really need a coupon for an item, I will often check the brand name's website to see if they are advertising savings or do a search through SwagBucks (I can earn a little money while searching for money!). Other sources for coupons are through competitor grocery stores such as Food Lion, Target, or Albertson's (in my area).

Check back tomorrow to see my final list and the deals I found! I hope this helps all you newbies to stick with The Coupon Game! It really is so much fun!!

3 Comments:

vlarge2 said...

Did my trip this morning at Publix. They have the Spinbrush Pro 5.99 with the 3.00 Walgreen ESR and the 2.00 IP = .99
Also, the Slim Packs are 1.09 each. I bought six pks, 3 BOGO MQ, 3 Publix Cpns 1.00/2 for total of .27

Teresa & Julie-Andi said...

vlarge2 - Great deals! I hadn't thought to try using the ESR's. Did your Publix okay it? I'm not sure mine would. I've got gum on my list this week, so that's definitely a deal I'll check out. Thanks!

Do you know if your Publix deals start on a Wednesday or a Thursday? Areas differ on the start day. I'm curious if these deals will be going on tomorrow for me.

OkieDebbie said...

Oh goodness, I thought I was the only person in the world who loved making her grocery list. I too search through certain blogs for all the good deals and the coupons that will help save money (or, my fave, get things for free-YAY!). It has been a real blessing for me to save like this! Just my last two shopping trips to Walmart have saved me $20! Plus, I have gotten free bags of expensive cat and dog food-so that means even greater savings these last two shopping trips! I wish we have Publix and CVS in my area, but we don't :( Thanks for all the help in saving my family money! You have been a blessing!

 

Blog Design By Restored 316 Designs © All Rights Reserved.